January has been starting the year off slow lately - trying times for riders in abstinence! Now that the first month of 2018 is behind us our snow senses tell us that winter might be ready to finally switch gears. We'll soon find out if our desperate prayers and ancient-time rituals still work - we'll be watching the forecasts, keeping our fingers crossed. Meanwhile, let's get our stoke level up by rewinding the good times with our top ten reasons January still rocks.
1. It starts off with a bang New Year's Eve is always a highlight, especially high up the mountain. These are the Markudjik slopes as seen from the Everest shelter below Musala in the first minutes of 2017.
2. Getting away from the city There's nothing better than getting to skip your routine and spending some time up here, where life happens for entirely different reasons.
3. Life is a big party in Borovets Ride until your legs turn to rubber during the day, then enjoy smoking hot parties at night! Just what the doctor ordered!
4. The occasional powder day While it's still early season and the snow cover is still relatively thin, if you're vigilant you can always sneak in a number of bluebird powder days in January!
5. Corduroy Mmm, waffles! Every morning and every evening whoever gets first chair gets to shred these.
7. Getting a taste of ski racing Borovets is the birthplace of many great ski racers and continues to produce young talents. Getting to see those guys go at it is a show like no other!
8. The funky events Don't miss out on all the demos, competitions and workshops that happen in Borovets! You'll often catch those during the weekends on the slope infront of Hotel Rila.
9. Taking the kids skiing If you're a family guy (or gal), January is a good time to bring the kids to the slopes. Our instructors will teach them to ride like the pros!
10. Fresh snow The world weather is changing and January has began to require much patience in order to catch any snowfall. But hey, that only makes fresh snow even more special!